Sunday 20 November 2011

Death in Paradise, Episode Four - An Episode Review

Another Tuesday past and another episode of a good crime drama, though not one as good as 'The Mentalist'. I return to my blog to tell you all about it, and of course give you my opinion of it.
   This episode sees the team working on a murder where there is a murderer with no victim or weapon. Intrigued yet? I was.

A woman turns up at the Police Station claiming to have shot her husband, but when a search of the beach is made, no body or weapon are found. Is the woman mad? No, as it turns out. The body washes up a day later with some disturbing complications, such as why was his watch's stopwatch function running for only an hour and tewty three minutes, and where did the button found on his body come from? All is not as it seems. Is it ever?

I have to say, the idea intrigued me. After five minutes of viewing, I had already formulated my own theory as to how the murder had occurred. To be honest, I think my theory was better than the real solution, which was more based on advanced speculation than fact. Then again, my theory was just as bad. Based on speculation. But I like speculation, as long as it's backed up by proper facts.
   So I didn't like the truth behind the crime. I thought it was an intriguing set up, but it left a number of questions unanswered, such as 'where did the murder weapon go?'. Too often in this series I see a good lack of murder weapon to be found. It seems that they all get thrown into the sea. Convenient, isn't it?
   They also didn't get evidence in a likely way. One minute there's next to no evidence for any crime whatsoever, the next there's a bucketload of it. It's quite vexing. At least, it is to me.
   Then there's the murder suspects. We don't get to know too much about them. In my mind, a good crime novel, drama or movie needs believable murder suspects with some depth to them. This presented neither to me. No depth whatsoever. Just some basic info and then some stuff about where they were at the time of the murder.

I'm giving this episode a four of ten. Yes, I may be being a little harsh, but even so. This crime drama was shaping up to be so good, particularly seeing as to week three's spectacular episode. Now it's let itself down. I liked the idea at the start, but it really went downhill from there. My apologies to the BBC for such a rating. However, it's the truth. To me at least.
   Until next episode, then.

No comments: