Monday 14 November 2011

Death in Paradise, Episode Three - An Episode Review

Episode image for Episode 3

Finally worked out the older cop's name: Dwayne.

Okay, epiphany must be pushed aside, as I'm trying to reviewing Death in Paradise Episode Three (3) without getting sidetracked and going off on a tangent.
   DI Richard Poole is faced with yet another baffling murder - aren't they always? - but this time, something's off. Less than a day before her death, the murder victim performed a voodoo show and predicted her own death in front of a crowd and policeman Dwayne. Richard must find the killer and convince his team that voodoo magic had nothing to do with the murder, and that following the 'prophecy' that the murdered woman gave is not a reasonable way of finding suspects.

Personally, I thought this episode was better than the second, though maybe not the first. Maybe. So we're faced with an intriguing murder where all the evidence collected points towards one man, but Richard think's it's all too easy. Which, of course, it is, otherwise it would have been a very short and disappointing episode.
   We advance on characters even further, but then again, that's what should happen in programs like this. Particularly, we expand on Dwayne (yeah, I finally got the name after using the internet). As he was there at the time of the prophecy being told, he feels a unique connection with the case. This plays a pretty big role in this storyline.
   Richard's very obvious obsession with using facts instead of prophecies is very clear, and brings a clarity to the investigation which I welcome. He is the concrete brick of the team: simple but effective in many ways, he is an essential part of the team as he keeps them weighed down and down-to-earth throughout inquiries. This development of Richard is just another necessity for the series, but I'm glad that they've done it well.
   The prime suspect is a fairly nasty old headmaster - and let's face it, when are headmasters/mistresses ever good, friendly folks in the world of fiction? I have to commend the actor on his portrayal of the character, although I'm sure that more than half of that is down to the director, the writer and the producer.

So, my rating. I'll give it an eight and a half. It's a bit kooky and strange, particularly how Richard figures out the final clues at the very very end. I have to say, I worked out who killed the old woman about a quarter of the way through. How Richard didn't I'm not sure. Some of the clues that he did use though were a little obscure, and wouldn't be obvious to an audience.
   So that's me. The day after tomorrow, Wednesday the sixteenth, a new episode airs. Correct me if I'm wrong. But be sure to watch it.
   For now, Pisces over and out.

No comments: