Sunday 23 October 2011

The Three Musketeers - A Film Review

I'm always on the lookout for a good, fun film. Today, I spotted that the most recent incarnation of Alexandre Dumas's famous masterpiece 'The Three Musketeers' was out in the cinemas, so I put on my coat, fired up the teleport pad and made my way to the cinema complex.

The film follows a young man, D'Artagnan, who leaves his home in the hope of becoming one of the famous Musketeers like his father. Little does he realise that they are not as glorious as they seem. Athos, Porthos and Aramis are purposeless drunks with some serious skill with a sword. However, after a fight with the Cardinal's guards, D'Artagnan gains their trust and sets out to stop the Cardinal's plot to take power.

*            *            *

I must now make a confession. I have never read Alexandre Dumas's 'The Three Musketeers'. I know, this is possibly not the crime of the century, but it matters to me. I make an appointment to read the book before seeing the film if at all possible. This does not mean I go around reading the pitiful advertising schemes known as 'movie novels'. I am aware that several of my readers may in fact enjoy movie novels, but to me they are a waste of precious space in bookshops and on bookshelves. But back to the script.

I haven't read the book that the film is (loosely) based on. However, from what I am told, I'm not missing much in way of understanding the plot. It's not that the book isn't supposed to be good, it's just that it doesn't bear much resemblance to the film. I am informed that there are no 'air ships' in the original book. Read the book and see the film and you'll understand.

So the film is only loosely based on the book, retaining some characters and the basic idea of the whole thing: Three Musketeers, out to save France from the evil folk, blah blah blah. The typical hero set-up. However, this is no ordinary sword-fighting film. This is a brilliant film.

I must say, I entered the cinema slightly skeptical. I had seen the trailers and had been thinking ever since 'Surely it's not as action-packed as it's made out to be!'. After all, there is nothing more annoying in the world of cinematography than a trailer that contains all the good bits. I worried in vain.

The film is, as promised, action-packed and filled to bursting point with swordfights, ship-to-ship combat and the occasional gunfight, with scenes of mild romance in between. On top of this, there are myriad traps dotted around of devious cunning and cleverness hidden in the most obviously unlikely places, for example a long corridor with lion's heads jutting out from the walls at regular intervals. Through these aspects of the film together, stuff them in a blender and turn it on for two hours and what do you get...?

A good film. It's not suspenseful as such, although there are scenes of mild peril in which the characters are plonked in front of two dozen heavily-armed men and are expected to get out alive, but those of us who watch movies know that the smaller group of people always win. Then there are the scenes of mild romance in which the dashing hero gets the girl of his dreams, which no film set in the past with swords, cannons and pistols can do without.. There is, however, something missing. Comedy.

"But wait! We have a lovely, bubbly, slightly overweight James Corden here! If we chuck him into various scenes, then everything will be absolutely fine," cry the producers. To my eternal surprise, it works like a dream.

The element of comedy found in James Corden's brilliant acting and natural comedic talent is just the thing to balance the movie out and round off the rough edges. Such scenes as when a toilet bucket is emptied over the Captain of the Guard's right-hand man are made to be acted by such men as James Corden. The best thing about having him there is that he's not just thrown into the story for the sake of it. His character actually does play a role, albeit a fairly small one.

Another thing that merits a mention is the quality of the costumes used. Each and every one of them is fantastically put together in a way that makes you think 'This is how they would have dressed!', unlike in the fairly recent 'Clash of the Titans', where the Greek Gods looked like they had stuck sequins to themselves, added too much glitter and then draped tinsel about their person.

*            *            *

So now onto the ratings. I shall be giving this film a great big nine out of ten, a very high score coming from me. It has fantastic action without edge-of-your-seat suspense, which makes the film more enjoyable, coupled with hints of romance and an element of comedy. Despite being violent, it avoids containing more than a few drops of blood, which is surprising seeing as to the number of shards of shrapnel flying this way and that. It probably doesn't bear too much resemblance to the book, but I wouldn't know; I haven't read it. Appearances from well-known actors including Orlando Bloom and James Corden add to the fun, and authentic-looking costumes and high-quality yet obviously unreal special effects draw the viewer in. All in all, highly enjoyable, and I would gladly give and receive such a movie to friends who like this sort of thing. I'll be looking out for the sequel!

No comments: