Tuesday 21 August 2012

What I Hate, Right Here, Right Now

You know what I hate? Rewritable files. Files that can be rewritten. Why, you ask? Because I've gone and bloody rewritten one of them.

I had a perfectly good NaNoNovel going, 'Seeing Red', it's called. Today I decided that the laptop would be the device to use so that I could wander around the house and still work. All's well. I use the pendrive to transfer the 23,000 word file to the lappy. I sit in the living room and listen through three albums of Rush, finishing off a thousand-word section in more time than I'm strictly happy with. And then what do I do? I take it back through to the PC.

Plug in pendrive, open my PC's desktop. Oh, my old file's still up on the computer. Hit 'save'.

Instant rewrite: Way to murder a thousand words.

Now I have to write the same thousand words AGAIN, and I'm fizzing. Fortunately though, my novel goes on the theme of anger and what people do when angry, so perhaps I can channel it.

Spuff happens. we just have to learn to use a little plastic bag to pick it up and put it in the bin.

No comments: