Thursday 5 January 2012

Numbers 2: The Chaos by Rachel Ward - A Book Review

I recently read the book 'Numbers' by Rachel Ward, and after enjoying it, I decided to set out in search of other books by the same author. My search for further reading ended with finding the sequel to 'Numbers'.

Pictured: The cover that adorned my copy of 'Numbers 2'.
'Numbers 2: The Chaos' is set in the near future, when the planet is ravaged by the effects of global warming. Sea levels are on the rise, flooding much of the UK and forcing many to evacuate. One of those made to leave their home is Adam, a sixteen year old boy with a gift. Adam is the son of Jem and Spider - both now dead - and he has inherited his mother's gift for seeing numbers - death dates in people's eyes. However, his condition is more advanced. He can see how the person in question will die as well as when. And everyone around him has the same number - 112027.
   Sarah is running away from home. She has problems not many people would understand - including horrible nightmares that tell of a fiery future. In them is a boy with a scarred face. Then she sees him in real life - and his name is Adam.
   Can the two survive the coming storm?

The sequel to 'Numbers', this book is much the same as the first in many ways. We have a fast paced thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat, plus a bit of girl-meets-boy romance. It's more than that really, but that is the whole book in a nutshell.
   The book is written in two parts, each showing its face every other chapter (part one, part two, part one, part two, etc.). Each of the two parts features a different character; one of either Adam or Sarah. Both are, in their own right, excellent creations of an inspired mind. The characters are realistic without seeming too real, if you get my meaning. Each has their own problems, and the dilemmas each finds themselves in are really rather good. The way each story is linked to the other is also well done.
   The setting is fairly good and is, in my humble opinion, better than its predecessor in this respect. Set a decade and a bit in the future, the setting leaves little to be desired. The world that our characters find themselves in is much the same as ours, though problems faced are now more likely to do with global warming than the economics of the European Union. It's a grotty, if slightly older, London that faces us - much like where we were at the beginning of the first book.
   Themes covered range. Global warming, precognition and teenage pregnancy all play a part, alongside a returning theme on drugs. Somewhat controversial in the Young Adult reading section I would say, but maybe I've not been reading widely enough. Even so, the author uses several of these themes to shock the reader at times, being very direct and to-the-point. I certainly wouldn't hand this book to a small child and say "Have a lovely read." And let's face it, who in their right mind would do that anyway?
   That brings me neatly onto the subject of recommendations. I'd say that people who like fast paced thrillers would enjoy this, especially if they like teen fiction too. I wouldn't want anyone sensitive to controversial topics reading it though, as there are some rather graphic scenes at intervals throughout the book. However, all in all, I would generally recommend this book to anyone who likes either of the two listed genres.

The review.
   I'll hand this book a 7.5 of 10. It's a good thriller with many well written scenes, but I didn't particularly like the use of swearing for effect, which I deem rather gratuitous. I'm sure that the author was attempting to create a sort of sense of them being real people though, so this could be justified.
   The prose read really well, though I couldn't say it's the best written thing I've ever laid hands on. It certainly made for an interesting read.
   As far as sequels go, this was very good - even better than the first.

Those of you who like this series may be interested to know that Rachel Ward has written a third book to complement the other two - 'Numbers 3: Infinity'. I would be a liar if I were to say I don't want to read it...

No comments: