Saturday 7 January 2012

Why I Hate... The Final Countdown

First in a new series today. Consider it a New Year's gift.

I was playing SingStar today on the PS3, when I realised something. (Well, I say playing. I mean that I watched other people play.) My brother was attempting (and failing) to sing 'The Final Countdown' by Europe. Studious creature that I am, I was following the lyrics very closely via the on-screen display. It was as I was desperately trying to ignore the strangled yelps that I noticed a whopping big mistake in the lyrics. And I'm not talking about the song itself.
If you know me, then you'll know that I'm a real stickler for scientific detail (and yes, those paradoxes are still in production). I also dislike the misuse of words. One of the most misused words I've ever come across is 'paradigm'. If you don't know what a word means, don't use it! That's one of my lesser mottos. But back to the problem at hand.
We have by now established that I hate a) incorrectly used words and b) abhor lack of scientific detail. The offending article in the song managed to come under both of those categories. Below is the verse from the song in which I located the asinine mistake.

Oh, we're heading for Venus
And still we stand tall
'Cause maybe they've seen us
And welcome us all, yeah
With so many light years to go
And things to be found
I'm sure that we'll all miss her so
It's the final countdown.


Did you spot it? Did you see the callous mistake that has caused me to fill in some time by writing this post? I should hope you did, though I can't fault you if you haven't seen it. I'll highlight it for you.

With so many light years to go...

See that? The songwriter decided to use 'light years' instead of something else. For those who don't know, a light year is how far light travels in a year. Considering the frankly incomprehensible speed at which light travels, that constitutes a fair distance. It is my solemn duty to report that Venus is not that far away. I'm not sure of the exact distance - after all, it varies due to Earth's and Venus's orbits not being synchronised in either a) shape or b) size. Even so, only a fraction of a fraction of a light year could exist in the distance between Earth and Venus. consider that it takes eight (8) minutes for the sun's light to get from the Sun to the Earth, and you'll have it in perspective. Therefore, we can pretty much say that this verse is on the wrong side of the correct scale. To coin a term that Matt himself recently used, it only gets a score of Gordon Ramsay out of a total of Dinosaur Hunting. Heheh.
Of course, there is also the glaringly obvious problem that it's impossible to forget the tune after hearing it. In fact, I feel like I must go and see a complete musical based upon the works of Queen to clear the horror of the catchiness from my system. Until later, young padawans.

No comments: