Tuesday 10 July 2012

Coffee and Paperwork

Well, I said that I'd got a job as a translator and cleaner (cleaners get rid of all the text and SFX on a piece of work) and let me tell you, coffee is perfect for stress relief.

I have to clean an entire chapter (about 32 pages) every week in order to get it to the official translators as well as the typewriter and the editors. (Note from The Editor: I suggest you don't diss your superiors if you want to keep your job. Just sayin'.)(Rinrei: They call themselves Grammar Nazi so all is good) If you ever look at raws of any manga or cartoons you'll realize that this is no easy task.

It was especially difficult for me because not only was there a lot of SFX, it was in front of stuff. So as well as cleaning up pages, I basically had to re-draw them, which is extremely stressful when you have a computer like mine which is so old it runs on coal.

It was because of this old-fashioned computer that three pages ultimately blew up and I was left among the debris begging one of the editors to help me. That's another job the editors do, they clean up the cleaner's mess (wow, that was a bad joke).

Anyway, since I started on Thursday, I've been working until I can't hold a cup of coffee still (which is bad considering I need it to keep me alive). I forced myself to sit still until I could move properly again.

In order to keep me alive, I've been playing music in the background and have at least three cups of coffee a day. Today I learned that coffee hardens the arteries. If that's the case then my arteries must be made of concrete by now.

Anyway, that's one chapter down, only 29 more to go (and the series is still going on), but I like knowing what happens next and if being a translator and dealing with cloned editors solves that, then so be it. This is the life of an unemployed online translator. Mind you... I've been getting a lot of messages asking me to be a paid one... (Maybe I can pretend I'm 20 and get away with it.) (Note from The Editor: Sly, Rinrei. Smooth.)

Anyway, with a brief break arriving for now, I'm signing off and watching horror shows online.

SIGNING OFF!
   Rinrei

No comments: