Monday 2 July 2012

Writing, Directing, Acting - The Three-Part Film

As Rinrei mentioned in her post 'Taking Characterisation to the Extreme!', there's been a disturbance in the force: Bats has been writing her very own script. While I had no part in writing it (not that I didn't try), I have experience in writing my own short films, and so am in a position to talk about making films.

There are three things that really make a production: writing, directing and acting. The first of these, writing, is where a script is conceived and written. The second part, directing, ties in with acting in that they tend to occur at the same time - during filming.

Scriptwriting is the most difficult phase from a creative viewpoint. Having an idea is easy, but having the skill to write it down in such a way as to make it seem like a plot is another thing entirely. There is a name for the way different scriptwriters write, and this is called 'voice' - the style of writing unique to that author. For a script to be successful, it must have a unique premise and voice, or it will almost certainly not catch the attention of a director. But when done right, a previously grey, dull idea can be brought to life. If done wrong, you may as well have shot yourself in the foot.

Directing is the easiest of the three - all you need is a large foam arrow and you're set.

Ahem, excuse Matt - he managed to set my computer so that I can't actually delete that at all. Crazy boy. Anyway, onto directing. Directing goes hand in hand with acting: good direction makes good actors, whereas good actors don't necessarily need good direction. The trick with directing a film is to tell people exactly what you want from them and have them follow it through to the letter. If you can do this, you're set. In other words, you simply need a big foam arrow and you're done for the day. The trick is to do it in such a way as to not annoy your actors. I have several strategies on file which I shall not share right now, because I'm evil and don't wish my actors to know how I'm going to make them love me.

Third and last is acting. Basically a big long role-playing game with guidelines, it's a lot of fun for those who enjoy it and don't have the director breathing down their back all the time. It's more fun when the director's actually acting as well, because then you can see how big a hypocrite he/she is. This is why I'd quite like to act in a film that I myself wrote - to make a general fool out of myself. I find it rather funny to see that on film, actually. Can you tell that I like seeing 'You've Been Framed'? But yes, it's the funnest part of creating a film, I think. The trick is to get in character and stay that way. Rinrei recently said that she had allowed a character to really get under her skin. The truth is that while this is an effective scheme, it's really not terribly good for your mental health in the grand scheme of things. You should get in character, yes, but not live your entire life as that character. Perhaps it's a good idea to try it for a few days though before filming begins, or during filming. I don't know; I'm not an actor yet.

So that's my three part guide to filming and moviemaking. Soon enough, we'll find out whether I'm prepared to follow my own 'rules' as I take on the different parts - after all, I write scripts, I shall be directing them when they are produced and perhaps acting in them too. For now, though, I bid you farewell. And whoever it is with the tablet device, riddle me this: how does it do with the site in comparison to a computer? Sorry. Random question. Heheh.

Adieu, mon amis.
   Professor Pisces

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tablet user: It does fine, thank you.