Tuesday 6 March 2012

A Note on the Intelligence of Teachers

I'm aware that I haven't posted in a week or so. Gimme a break. I have other things to do, too. Despite the impression I give, I do have a life outside of the Kettle.
   Anyways...

It occurs to me that teachers need not be very intelligent to succeed at their jobs; at least, not those in primary and secondary (lower and middle to the English) schools. Want to know why? It's really rather simple.
   Say we have your average, run-of-the-mill English teacher, of which Britain as a country seems to have far to many. Take a good, long look at the one that now occupies your head, and think to yourself "How smart need they really be?"
   The answer is quite obvious. They don't have to be very smart at all; they just need to have a slightly higher level of intellect than the students they turn out. Ergo, they just have to be able to have passed their Highers in their field of choice, and understand it fairly thoroughly.
   It's certainly an interesting revelation to those of us who still think of teachers as higher powers in the brain departments. However, when one thinks about it for, say, three days, one realises that what I'm saying is absolutely correct. Of course, teachers out there might disagree, but it's true all the same. Of course, I'm talking about fairly middle-shaped standards here. The average teacher will have credentials saying that they have an education to the level of the average student leaving school after achieving their Highers.
   Unfortunately, the standards of primary school teachers are (quite understandably) very low indeed. When you ponder it, it becomes clear that such teachers only need to have a primary school level of education to succeed at being a mediocre prmary school teacher. Plus, they need to have a fairly kind and understanding disposition, as well as an in-built patronising way of speaking to everyone. Who hasn't ever had a teacher who patronises his/her pupils? It's practically a necessity of education.

I feel that I've made my point now. Now, you can either email me and talk about it, drop me a comment, or discuss it with your local education centre. (Hint: Don't try the latter, as it will probably end in your brutal murder. I learnt many years ago that teachers dislike being questioned. Albert Einstein learnt this also.)
   So, until next time... Goodbye.

No comments: